Sunday, July 11, 2010

summer crafts / water

I love this website. Has simple craft ideas that I plan on trying with my son.
http://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts/summer/

Lately the only crafts my son has wanted to do is finger painting and stringing beads to make necklaces. He'd rather be outdoors, blowing bubbles and playing in the sprinkler :) He has shown less interest in playing in the sand than he did yesterday, but I think a couple days at the beach will cure that.

My son has been learning about water. We watched a thunderstorm approach the other day. We sat on the patio, listened to the thunder, watched the lightning, and felt the rain. When the wind picked up we went inside and continued watching through an open window. What a great experience. Other days I've given him the water hose and he's had fun watering the plants, and the sidewalk and the stairs. He is amazed when the water "disappears." Over the winter we did some colour mixing, blending the primary colors to make secondary colours, and he remembers that vividly and occasionally asks to do it again. I followed that with mixing paints, and with Playdo (took lots of mixing but in tiny pieces it worked wonderfully).

My daughter loves water too. Yesterday was a rainy day so we went outside right as the rain was ending. She played with the water falling from the eaves trough, watched me fill a dish up from the trough and water the plants, and then we went for a walk where she was thrilled to play in the mud puddles. Then we went home and she went straight into the bath tub. She discovered that lying down on her back is an interesting experience, especially if the water covers her ears. She'd lay back (while holding my hand so she could get up) and sit up, over and over again. this is something my son would never do. I drained some water out of the tub to make it safe, and she was able to just lie back in the water, very happy. I just need to watch that she doesn't do this again when there is lots of water in the tub.